Friday, November 11, 2011

Editing Wikipedia Article Stubs

Our latest assignment in ALES204 was editing an article stub on Wikipedia. Although we had a huge list of article stubs to choose from, I had a hard time choosing a good article related to clothing, textiles or fashion. The article stubs that were related to these tended to simply need a definition. Try finding enough information about seam gages to write 300-600 words - it would not be easy. In the end, I decided to choose the article stub for a fashion label called Kookaï. After doing some quick research on the label to see if I could collect enough information to write a few paragraphs about it, I decided it would be an interesting topic to write about.

When I wrote the article, I titled each paragraph to make it easier for readers to find the information they want and faster. It was very simple to add headings to the article. What was difficult about completing this assignment was properly referencing my work. I had information from a number of sites but much of the information came from the same site. I could not understand how to correctly add certain references more than once into my article. I wanted to do as the previous contributor of this article stub did with reference one, including "a" and "b" but was not able to. Does anybody know how to do this?  Here's what my edits looks like:



Have a look at my Wikipedia article edits here and read Kylie's blog post for her take on editing these. She seemed to have a much easier time than me. Interested in editing an article stub too? Click here and get started.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really awesome expansion you've done, I really like that you took the time to find out about a label you didn't know that much about in order to stay within your field. Really good job!

    Here's my blog post on this assignment:
    http://stepht-ales204.blogspot.com/2011/11/wikipedia-article-expansion.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked at your Wikipedia entry-I really like your idea of adding a title for each paragraph. It makes it easy to find the information one is looking for.

    I enjoyed your original vlog you made in October. I am really looking forward to your presentation tomorrow in class....I actually searched your name on Google to find your blog link, and the video came up. However-I will not let myself watch it before we see it in class tomorrow! I will hold myself in suspense until then.

    ReplyDelete